|The aim of the doctoral program in Biotechnology is to train researchers in different fields of biotechnology
research and to constitute a competitive, consistent, well-structured and high-quality set of doctoral studies.
The main features of this doctoral program, which provides a multi-disciplinary training in the field of biotechnology,
are as follows:
1. To provide a training, both practical and theoretical, in the different aspects of biotechnology, placing special emphasis on the
basis and applications of molecular biotechnology.
2. To give a solid conceptual and methodological training in biotechnology to graduates and professionals in the areas of industry,
biomedicine, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, food, the environment and all others with an interest in the basic aspects,
processes and products of biotechnology.
3. To train professionals qualified to meet demand from the growing number of biotechnology firms in this country and try
to reduce the time lapse between a basic discovery and its immediate application.
4. To study in depth the applications of biotechnology in the sustainability of systems of production and environmental
5. To teach managerial techniques and methods at both research and business level.
6. To familiarize students with the legislation governing the handling of biotechnology products in terms of patents and
The aim is for the knowledge and training gained from this doctoral program to be useful not only for
carrying out experimental work related to the doctoral thesis, but also of interest to companies wishing
to recruit staff trained in this emerging field.
Taking into account the training and research periods:
During the training period the main aim is to study in greater depth and gain a firm grasp of the knowledge necessary to successfully undertake the
research stage. The aims are defined more specifically in the master in Molecular Biology.
The research period, which is what makes up the doctoral studies, is undertaken in a research group linked to a line of
research in the program. The aim of this period is to gain skills and aptitudes in biotechnology research which will then
enable students to find employment.